The access to internet on our compound has been limited at best, non existent often.
Helen and I have been frustrated that we could not work on our blog and check our emails. To make up for our frustration, we we've reciting lines from our favorite Australian television show; Kath and Kim.
As I complained about the internet issue along with waiting yet again to get out to our clinic for the day, I was told there was an internet cafe just next door to our compound called Bob's internet cafe.
Helen and I were ecstatic with our anticipation of sipping skinny lattes and chinos while writing in an air conditioned cafe.
We couldn't believe that there was an internet cafe in the midst of the rubble and mayhem we were living around.
We approached the cafe to find it a small front hallway of a house, crammed with six stations, filled with old computers.
Where was the barrista? where was the cappucino machine? where was the air conditioning?
We realized the word "cafe" was used very loosely.
Just as I managed to get my mac hooked up, the internet went down. I notified Bob.
He pointed to a woman sitting on a cement block who was talking on a portable phone.
He explained that there is no internet when someone rents phone time.
I payed Bob quadruple the asking price of 60 cents per half hour in order to not rent the phone until Helen and I finished our work.
Bob gladly agreed.
Dr Toni Bark; MD and Helen Gracie, CEO of Scenar Health, have volunteered on a medical mission in Haiti during April 2010.
- Video from Toni
- How Long Can Heaven Last ?
- How SCENAR Was Seeded in Haiti
- A Typical Day in Haiti on our Medical Mission
- My Meeting With Alison Thompson
- Meeting Alison Thompson
- Pentionville Country Club
- The Internet cafe without coffee or internet
- Another album from Haiti from Toni and Helen
- Second Album from Toni
- Dr Toni Bark uploads pictures from Haiti
- Haiti Nights
- Sunday in Port Au Prince
- The First Days
- Port Au Prince
- Helen has arrived in Miami - meeting with Toni tom...
- I Scored Big Today
- Peer reviewed research that supports SCENAR and Ul...
- another generous donation
- preparing for our trip
- ▼ April (20)