Dr Toni Bark; MD and Helen Gracie, CEO of Scenar Health, have volunteered on a medical mission in Haiti during April 2010.

Contributors

Monday, April 19, 2010

My Meeting With Alison Thompson

You heard Helen's voice on this subject, now to mine:

My team arrived at the JPHRO ER tent after we drove through a narrow lane from the bottom of the Pentionville country club tent city.

This new city houses, or tents, 40 thousand people. driving through this felt terrible that we were disrupting their daily ives with our noisy 4wheel drive.

We had no choice, we had brought medical supplies and were not allowed to come in from above, as the army is stationed there.

Allison immediately came out to shake my hand and greet the visiting doctor (me) and her team

She had her naturally white blond hair in Heidi braids and had an unbelievable smile on her face.

It's as though the heat and the suffering just doesn't touch her. She is the only person I have ever met who can stay unscathed
through such harsh conditions.

It's not that I didn't keep my humor and wit while working in less than optimal conditions, it's that I looked remarkably
disheveled most of the time while Alison looked as though she had just been graced by a film stylist; her hair in perfect braids, her clothes stylish, pressed and clean. Also, Alison had been in Haiti since the disaster and planned on staying the year, I knew I was going back soon to my family and dark chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers