Dr Toni Bark; MD and Helen Gracie, CEO of Scenar Health, have volunteered on a medical mission in Haiti during April 2010.

Contributors

Monday, April 12, 2010

Haiti Nights

The first two nights were completely sleepless.

There were ongoing cacauphonies of dogs barking.

I heard voices singing throughout the night carried on the wind.

They were ghost-like as they appeared out of nowhere, even at four in the morning.
I imagined them to be the voices of the lost ones in the rubble.

I shared this with the other doctor whose term I overlapped with, he had said that others had made the same remark.

The third morning here, I told the head dada, about the voices. He stated there were all night churches and the singing was group song and prayer. I haven't heard the voices since.

The next three nights, there were torrential downpours. THe first night of the downpours, I was on my way back from seeing patients in the mountains. My tent was open, oops! I slept on the only dry area on my air mattress with a borrowed dry woolen blanket.
The next two nights were dry in my tent in spite of the torrential pours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers