Dr Toni Bark; MD and Helen Gracie, CEO of Scenar Health, have volunteered on a medical mission in Haiti during April 2010.

Contributors

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Three Weeks Later

It's been three weeks since returning and Haiti is on my mind everyday.

I follow the biosurveiilance news feed for Haiti and noticed the suspected case of diptheria, I sent out some emails to medical folks back in Port Au Prince to find that there was no anti-toxin to be found.

It is a sad ending, as the child died while being hospitalized due to lack of staff around when he had breathing difficulties and needed to be intubated.

I am now, on the quest for donated anti-toxin and possibly some DT vaccines that I can carry on the flight when I return in June.

The good news, is that when I emailed Boston University about the results I had in Haiti using scenar on patients with shock and depression as well as injuries, I was invited to come visit the neurobiology lab with the device.

I will be training the head of the Disaster Management and Emergency Services program along with staff in the neurobiology lab, on how to use scenar, and they will be studying its' effect on the brain via EEG, MRI and possibly PET scans.

This is very exciting. My hope is that SCENAR can be used in the field with al kinds of injuries and diseases that the medics would otherwise not be equipped for.

Who knows if SCENAR could help in the case of diptheria where there is no anti-Toxin to use. Perhaps it could stimulate the immune system or the tissues in the throat enough to hold up a fight against the toxin.

Stay tuned for another blog on the physiological effects of SCENAR on the brain and body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers